Dr. Michael Waldvogel, N.C. Cooperative
Extension Service entomologist at N.C. State University suggests
these precautions for termites:
- Make sure the wooden siding of your
house does not touch the ground.
- Repair any cracks in the foundation of
- Do not allow mulch such as wood chips
to touch the foundation of your house.
- Do not store cardboard boxes,
newspaper, telephone books or other wood-based products
in your crawlspace or in an area that touches the ground.
Be careful when storing these items in your garage or
- Keep shrubs trimmed so that they are
at least 6 inches from the house.
- If you are building an addition to
your house, use pressure-treated wood whenever possible.
Cap the foundation with solid blocks or filled bricks or
install a sheet-metal termite shield.
- Make sure there is at least an 18-inch
clearance between the ground and floor joists within your
- Get an annual termite inspection.