Itís a good idea to keep your house in good health:
- Change furnace filter every month to 45 days.
- Drain sediment from hot water heater every two months.
- Cover the air conditioner compressor in winter.
- Regularly clean garbage disposal with hot water and bleach.
- Keep items at least 5 feet away from the furnace and hot water heater to ensure more economical operation and to reduce fire hazard.
- Refrigerator compressor coils should be vacuumed at least every two years or every three months if there are inside pets.
- Make sure dryer vent is unobstructed.
- Periodically, check attic rafters for signs of moisture.
- Replace cracking caulk around windows and doors.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries every two to three months.
- Have fireplaces and chimneys checked and maintained every three to five years if used occasionally and annually if used frequently.
- Have furnace inspected annually.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts every fall.
- Install downspout extensions to drain water away from the foundation of the house.
- Make sure house number is easily visible.
- Scrape and replace peeling paint.
- Run a dehumidifier and let in natural light to keep the house from rotting.
- Trim bushes in front of windows for more light and added security.
- Seal-coat an asphalt driveway with one coat of a water-based sealer, every three to four years.
- Open crawl space vents April, close in December.
Here's to your home's new found health!